June 18, 2009

Serving others


By Paula Matheos

“Serving others is the wisest, smartest and most practical way of serving oneself.”
Bernabé Tierno

I was marveled at finding in one quote, the essence of what has led me to make certain decisions about my way of life through all of these years. Thanks to this Spanish author and psychologist I can summarize today so many feelings and internal needs that I express through the action for others. My life’s pillar has been and is my family, to whom I dedicate a big part of my energy. My labor activities, in the health area as well as in designing decoration elements, are also directed to people’s needs.

Habitat for Humanity Argentina came into my life to complete the circle of “serving” and transcend the limits of my home and work. Side by side next to families who dream with a housing solution, who fight day after day to turn their walls into the home they have always sought, allows me to renew the hope of more children growing with more than just their basic needs covered: that they can wake up, get together with their loved ones and dream with new challenges. In each of them I see a new person that will grow with the conviction of knowing that serving and helping others gives sense to our lives.

*Paula Matheos is a volunteer in the “Little Bricks” workshop and part of the House Leaders Team at Habitat for Humanity Argentina.

No comments: