April 23, 2008

Year 2, Volume 1: NATIONAL OFFICE: Becky Freemantle, volunteer, writes: " MY VISIT TO SANTA FE"

I have been volunteering for Habitat for Humanity Argentina now for 4 weeks in the Head office in Acassuso, Buenos Aires. But it was only yesterday that I had my first trip to their affiliate in Santa Fe. Santa Fe is situated on the eastern planes of Argentina and suffered terribly in 2003 when 1/3 of the town was submersed under up to 4 metres of water.

Coming from a richer country it is easy to say that you can empathise with people that live in poverty, but it is when you are confronted by it, that is when you really notice the hardship.

I went to speak to the families that Habitat is currently helping. They talked openly to me and showed me round their homes. Diego Carlos Velásquez and his family share a house with his whole family, 24 people, 3 of whom are pregnant. They all share 1 single bathroom and a tiny kitchen. Carlos, his wife and 4 children all live in the same room. He only receives 400 pesos (₤73 or $138 USD) salary a month, to support and feed his family.


I felt awkward asking them about the way that they live and the poverty that they have to face everyday. How do you ask such questions when you know that in comparison you own more than they would ever dream of having!


Carlos and his family is just one of 10 families that HFH Argentina is hoping to help in its next construction project. The project focuses on families that don’t own the land that they are living on. HFH Argentina would not only be constructing their houses but buying the land for them, so that given time they can then pay back the money that they owe.

When I went back to the HFH Argentina office in Santa Fe after a morning of visiting just some of the families that Habitat are looking to help, they showed me their new designs and ideas to reduce the cost of construction. I got caught up in the enthusiasm that the staff there have for their work. It made me feel that with dedication and enthusiasm practically anything is possible. Now all I hope is that I can have the same impact here in Buenos Aires in the next couple of months that I am here.

Rebecca Freemantle
Volunteer
National Office - Habitat For Humanity Argentina

No comments: