April 23, 2008

Year 4, Volume 1: National Office: Resource Development

The Big Habitat for Humanity Family

Much has been said about Habitat for Humanity (HFH) working locally and adapting itself to the needs of each community to resolve the problem of inadequate housing. This is very true… In addition I had the extreme pleasure of experiencing the support of our global family between April 22 and May 3 this year.

With the support of the Area Office for Habitat for Humanity Latin America and the Caribbean (HFH LAC) I visited various affiliates in the United States where I experienced the hospitality and felt the brotherhood of a Christian organization. I stopped at Troy, Albany in Rensselaer Co. New York. In Patterson New Jersey I participated in a ¨Latin Night¨ and found out more about their work. I was in Bucks Co. Pennsylvania and Newburg, New York where I participated in a ¨Walk for Houses¨ and was given a HFH tour around the city. I also met with Mary A. Bonner, president of the affiliate in Westchester Co. who has, on various occasions, shown her solidarity with Habitat for Humanity Argentina.

During my travels it was evident time and time again that one of the reasons that HPH has accomplished so much around the world is that it functions as a big family. And this family grows… in this trip I witnessed how one Argentine and his family took a leadership role in organizing events and finding financial aid to help Argentines who live in unacceptable conditions. Alex and Daniela Bernabó organized a wine and empanada dinner for their friends where they planned their coming fundraiser ¨Tango and Build¨ at the Mahopac Golf Club on August 18. Glenda Páez from White Plains is contributing buy selling tickets. Other workers who have showed support are Gabriel Maioli, Matias Delfino and Argentines who work at the United Nations.

This generosity extends to the USA west coast, thanks to the invitation of a faithful and generous donor from Bellingham, Washington. I flew to the west coast to give a presentation in a church for a group of friends and family who hope to support the projects here in Argentina

In the name of HFHA I would like to thank these affiliates who generously opened their doors to me and who have started a long term partnership with HFHA, to HFH LAC for their support for my trip, to the Bernabó family, the Argentine Club from the United Nations. I would also like to thank Steve and Julie McMinn and everyone of the people who gave willingly and generously of their hospitality and time so that this trip translates into more houses for those in need so they can call it ¨home¨.

Ma. Constanza Ledesma

National Resource Development Coordinator

National Office

No comments: